Search This Blog

Are you in need of a giggle? Five Favourite Funny Books

People often ask me what my life is like with three children under five. Well, to be honest, most days I feel like a zoo keeper or, at best, a referee. My two eldest have just entered the dreaded squabbling phase and now our lives are full of dilemmas such as, who gets the "Frozen" plate? Or, who needs that piece of red Lego the most? I admit that sometimes the bickering seems relentless!

One of my solutions to these situations is distraction and there is no better distraction than reading a funny book together. So the next time you're having "one of those days", try reading one of our top five choices to lighten the mood and get you giggling...


1. Oi Frog! Kes Gray and Jim Field

This is a super rhyming book with fantastic illustrations about a frog who is learning that every animal has a special place to sit. Cats may sit on mats and mules may sit on stools but this frog does not want to sit on a log! Izzie (4) loved the rhyming verse and Theo (2) loved the funny pictures. Both children thought it was a hilarious story. We borrowed this book from our local library and reluctantly returned it several weeks ago, yet both children still regularly shout "Oi Frog! Sit on a Log!" at each other. We simply can't wait to get our hands on a copy of "Oi Dog!" which is published later this year*. (*now released!)




2. I Am Bear - Ben Bailey Smith and Sav Akyuz

A fantastic rhyming tale about a very cheeky purple bear who loves to play and do magic tricks. The illustrations, couldn't be bolder or brighter and they capture the bear's expressions and mischievous nature brilliantly. This quickly became a firm favourite in our house and always gets a giggle!


3. Betty Goes Bananas - Steve Antony

An amusing tale from Steve Antony with great characters and superbly bold illustrations. Betty has a lot in common with my banana obsessed, two year old. They are both stubborn and determined to do everything by themselves. Then when things don't quite go to plan the tantrums follow! The sequel "Betty Goes Bananas in her Pyjamas" is just as funny.



4. The Book with No Pictures - B.J. Novak

This is a children's book with a difference, it has no pictures! However, it certainly is not boring, just simply full of silliness. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book out loud to Izzie and Theo and by the end Izzie was actually rolling around on the floor giggling. Definitely give this book a go, it's totally unique. Just don't be shy when reading it, the more you put into the daft noises the more enjoyable it is! Good luck!


5. The Day The Crayons Came Home - Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers 

The brilliant sequel to one of my favourite children's books, "The Day The Crayons Quit". This time the disgruntled crayons have been misplaced and have sent postcards home. Learn how each one got lost and find out if they will ever get back. Just as clever and witty as the first book, it will definitely raise a smile. We really didn't want to take this one back to the library either!



There are so many funny children's books out there. 
We would love to know which ones get you giggling?


Until next time... HAPPY READING!
Kate & the Mini Reviewers xx


Disclaimer: These five books have already been included in our 366 Books in 366 Days reading challenge. We were fortunate enough to win copies of "I Am Bear", "The Book With No Pictures" and "Betty Goes Bananas" through various giveaways on social media. "Oi Frog!" and "The Day The Crayons Came Home" were both borrowed from the library. All the opinions expressed above are my own.

16 comments:

  1. I've not read I Am Bear or Betty Goes Bananas but I love the others on your list. We find Claire Freedman's Alien books funny and I recently started reading the Paddington books to my daughter, I had tears of laughter rolling down my face when I read some of the stories. That doesn't often happen!

    #reazwithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Underpants series is brilliant. We particularly like the Dinosaur one, thank you for reminding me :) We are big Paddington fans too! #readwithme

      Delete
  2. I love the day the crayons came home, totally agree this is a brilliant way of entertaining children!! Thanks for sharing with #ReadWithMe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed for a third crayons adventure! Really enjoying the other linked #readwithme posts. Thank you for hosting!

      Delete
  3. Reading is a great way of calming kids down. I too was a parent of three under five (although that period only lasted for three months). I am now a parent of a 15yo, 12yo and 10yo. Any suggestions for how to stop them fighting? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I'd be totally out of my depth there! I'm guessing the naughty step stops working at some point? ;-)

      Delete
  4. We love Oi Frog! It makes me laugh out loud. And I still haven't read the Day the Crayons Came Home but I love the Day the Crayons Quit so really should get a copy! #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've found one for your next library haul! It won't disappoint. #readwithme

      Delete
  5. I love the sound of that frog book and I think laughter is a good way of diffusing things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oi Frog! really is brilliant and I don't think you can ever have too much laughter in life, can you? #readwithme

      Delete
  6. I love this! I'm always looking out for good books for the kids. The book with no pictures sounds very intriguing! Thanks for the recommendations 👏🏽👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you love it. I hope you'll find a few new books through it. Definitely give The Book With No Pictures a go. If you do, let me know how you get on :)

      Delete
  7. We love Oi Frog, so funny! I think I will add The Book With No Pictures to my soon to be 4 year old birthday list, I've heard great things about it.

    I recently read my son some Michael Rosen poems, he thought they were hilarious and regularly quotes them!
    #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was skeptical when I first saw The a Book a With No Pictures but as soon as I read it out a loud I realised just how fantastic it is. My kids' reactions were priceless! Which Michael Rosen poems have you read him? #readwithme

      Delete
  8. We've got The Book With No Pictures and absolutely love it. Just so funny. You should take a look at the vlog that son1 did for it last year. I'm in stitches again just thinking about it. These others sound good too. #readwithme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fantastic, yes I will have a look at it!

      Delete